Saturday, January 9, 2016

Making of the Final Artwork for "O Gato e O Macaco" (The Cat and The Monkey)

- - -
COLOR STUDIES:

Before starting the final artwork, I made some small color studies to decide on a consistent color palette for the entire book.  The Cat is a Fire Cat - so I wanted him to be reddish while the blue background contrasts the warm characters and the fire place.








- - -

INKING THE FINAL DRAWINGS:

Once the drawings for the book were all finalized, I transferred the drawings to smooth hot press watercolor paper in a light pencil.  Then I used waterproof colored acrylic inks and a 102 nib crow quill dip pen to ink all the line work.
















- - -

WATERCOLOR WASHES ON LINEWORK:

After I finished inking all the line work, I taped the paper to large masonite boards to keep the paper from wrinkling due to water washes. Then, I painted with watercolor and ink washes on top of the inked line work to create shadows and more color to the paintings.






















And then after lots of painting.....the finished illustration!

No comments: